As an Italian, how can I not love vino? It’s in my blood! I love red and white wine (which probably is odd, since most people prefer one over the other). I’m a little strange in that I love drinking a nice chilled white wine in the Summer (there is something about drinking a crisp white wine on a hot day!) and a nice full-bodied red wine in the Fall and Winter. My favorite red wines are: Sangiovese, Mourvedre, Barbera, Zinfandel (jammy), Tempranillo and Pinot Noir. For whites, I absolutely love dry and slightly sweet Rieslings and Gewurztraminers, Sauvignon Blanc and some Chardonnays.
As I have said before, my husband and I love going wine tasting: We have visited almost every wine region in California, and, last fall, we traveled to the Willamette Valley in Oregon for my big 3-0 birthday (which was beautiful, not to mention full of amazing wines!). Our favorite wine regions are Dry Creek Valley, Amador County, Alexander Valley and El Dorado County (all in California) with our favorite wineries being:
- Unti (Dry Creek Valley) *Such good Sangiovese and Syrah, and watch out for their Cuvee Foudre!
- Preston of Dry Creek (Dry Creek Valley) *Best Barbera we have EVER tasted… his bread is great, too!
- Dutcher Crossing (Dry Creek Valley) *Great Chardonnay!
- Vino Noceto (Amador County) *Love, LOVE their Frivolo and Sangiovese!
-Amador Cellars (Amador County) *Best Zin and Late Harvest Zin!
- Holly’s Hill Vineyards (El Dorado County) *Gosh, all of their wines are amazing!
-Husch (Alexander Valley) *Their Riesling and Guewurztraminer are wonderful! Their wines really show what the area can produce.
- Brutocao Cellars (Alexander Valley) *Barbera is yummy, and really good Port, too!